Sunday, May 27, 2007

May 29, 2007 News



Kate Sekules takes over June 11 as editor of Culture & Travel, which is described as covering travel from an arts perspective and emphasizes cultural destinations, festivals, architecture and the performing arts. The web site is devoid of magazine content, but you can see its April/May issue table of contents here to get an idea of what they do.


For those of you who don't already know, here's some depressing news from LA Times columnist Al Martinez:

Subject: buyout
To all: I dislike rumors and so I take these means to tell you all that I am a victim of the buyout/layoff frenzy. My final column for a newspaper I have worked for since 1972, in a business I have been a part of since 1952, winning more awards and honors than would ever fit on my wall, will be Friday, June 1st. I always thought that I would be the one to decide when it was time to walk away, when my prose faltered and my thinking blurred. But that's not the way it works anymore with the owners we have in the climate that exists. Too bad. I think I deserved a better way of ending such a long and honorable career.


If this disappoints you as much as it did me, send your thoughts to Publisher David Hiller and Editor James O'Shea. You'll get a "form letter" reply from each, but at least there will be some additional rumbling about the decision.


And in other distressing buyout-oriented news, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution is eliminating most positions for arts critics and editors, including those now held by classical music critic Pierre Ruhe, book editor Teresa Weaver, and visual arts critic Catherine Fox. Film critic Eleanor Ringel was one of about 40 senior staffers who accepted a buyout offer. According to a Musical America story "Two cultural writers, theater critic Wendell Brock and food critic Meridith Ford, will keep their current gigs. Everyone else, including such workhouse types as pop music critic Nick Marino, was required to reapply for jobs which may – or may not – be similar to their present assignments."


I sent a few emails to Entertainment Tonight that came back because I had the outdated @paramount.com extension, and it's now cbsparamount.com, so check your lists in case you're as un-current as I was.


The weekly Westside Chronicle, covering community news in Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Santa Monica, West Hollywood and West L.A., has moved its offices from Santa Monica to 6406 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 750, Los Angeles, CA 90048. 323 653-4500 phone, 323 653-4507 fax.


Join KCSN FM Program Director Martin Perlich for a book signing The Art of the Interview and reception on Thursday, June 14, 7 to 9 p.m., at Samuel French Theatre and Film Bookshop, 11963 Ventura Blvd., Studio City.