Friday, March 6, 2009

March 6, 2009 News


Good news from Evan Henerson, who announces:

Effective this week, I’ll be the new L.A. Stage Scene writer for Examiner.com, a news, culture and general interest website written by -- presumably -- insiders. If you haven’t heard of Examiner.com, prior to now -- and I hadn’t either before I answered their call for freelancers -- hop on the site, and look around. In fact, hop on and look around often and spread the word, since we writers (or Examiners, as we’re called) get paid by the page view.

I envision my work as kind of a mixture of my late theater blog, The City in Curtains, and the feature writing and reviewing I used to do for the Daily News. The content will be my own property, and I’ll be linking, repackaging and posting to other publications I’ve been freelancing for like Backstage West, CurtainUp and any other sites I can drum up.

His sbcglobal.net address is ehenerson.


Gary Scott reports layoffs at the Riverside Press Enterprise including:

Barbara Tarshes, executive news editor
Richard Fisher, assistant managing editor
Glenn Gullickson, city editor
Cindy Martinez Rhodes, reporter
Imran Vittachi, reporter
Greg Vojtko, photographer
Zeke Minaya, SB County reporter
Melanie Ladonga, news assistant
Jessican Logan, night cops reporter

The LA Times' Dodger Thoughts blog adds that Diamond Leung, Dodgers beat writer, also got the ax.


Former Daily News staffer Greg Hernandez debuts his Greg In Hollywood blog, described on its About page as offering:

…fly-on-the-wall accounts of Hollywood events to coverage of the independent film and local theater scene, brings you interviews with celebrities, newsmakers and creative types, and keeps you up to date on entertainment, LGBT, and political news.


From Cision's The Navigator:

AOL.com’s fashion and beauty Internet magazine, AOL StyleList.com, has welcomed a new editor to its team. Sarah Cristobal recently joined the site as senior fashion editor. She was most recently the senior editor of Harper's Bazaar's Web site.